Why are there so many shooting incidents and other gun crimes on Walmart property?

Friday, November 22, 2013

Shooter tracked to Ohio Walmart and shot to death by SWAT

Occurred November 22, 2013.
Scene of fatal shooting at Columbus Walmart (source)

47-year old Danny Thornton knocked on a door at a home in Grove City, Ohio, and then shot a 9-year old boy, Jaiden Dixon, in the face.  Jaiden had been preparing to leave for school in the morning when he opened the door.  Two other boys, ages 17 and 18, were at the home as well.

Thornton then went to a dental office, where he shot his ex-girlfriend.

A SWAT team caught up to Thornton at the Columbus, Ohio, Walmart and a shootout occurred.  When the bullets stopped flying, Thornton was dead, and a SWAT team member was injured.

The boy, Jaiden, is on life support until his organs can be donated, according to his family.

The ex-girlfriend is now in critical condition.

Thornton's motive for the shootings, or why he fled to Walmart, have not been released.

From an article, which has pictures of Thornton and 9-year old Jaiden:
Around 9:45 a.m., he was tracked to a location near Morse and Stelzer Roads at a Walmart across from Easton Town Center. 
As police moved in, they say Thornton fired. 
"Once they moved in, the suspect exited his car, with a handgun in his hand; raised it towards the officers and that's when the shots were fired," said Sgt. Rich Weiner, CPD. "We don't have to wait for the suspect to fire. If he raises that weapon in a threatening manner, the officers can go ahead and use deadly force." 
Thornton was killed in the exchange. 
A SWAT officer was shot in the abdomen and hip area during the exchange of gunfire. 
Police said Officer Steve Smith was the man injured in the shootout with Thornton. Officials say the 24 year veteran of the force is being kept for observation and is in good spirits. Two other SWAT officers were also involved in the shooting but not injured. 
Jaiden Dixon is in critical condition at Nationwide Children's Hospital. His mother and brother were at the home but not injured in the shooting. His mother has posted on Facebook that the family that Jaiden is being kept on life support to donate his organs.
From another article, identifying the female victim and stating that the Walmart store remained open after the incident:

After shooting the boy, investigators believe Thornton traveled to Mark A. Pitts D.D.S. at 4409 Crossroads Center, where he shot employee Vicki Vertin in the office's lobby. Vertin was taken to Grant Medical Center in critical condition. 
A relative of Vertin told ABC 6/FOX 28 the victim was the mother of one of Thornton's children. 
Several Columbus and Grove City schools were locked down as police searched for Thornton, 47, who was traveling in a Toyota Camry. That car was eventually spotted in the Walmart parking lot, at which time SWAT officers were sent to the area. 
Police have not released specific details about the shootout, which occurred at approximately 11 a.m. 
Customers were allowed to enter and exit Walmart after Thornton was declared dead, but drivers were prohibited from removing their cars from the parking lot until police completed their examination at approximately 2 p.m. 
Police have not released a possible motive for the alleged shooting spree. Thornton's criminal record includes a 1985 charge of felonious assault, and a 1992 indictment for carrying a concealed weapon. He spent four days in jail in 2007 after failing to appear in court.
Walmart.  Save money.  Die faster.

UPDATE (7/25/14):   9-year old victim, Jaiden Dixon, has his organs donated.  A little girl in St. Louis received his lungs and is alive today because of him.  Read about it HERE.