Why are there so many shooting incidents and other gun crimes on Walmart property?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Shootings At Walmart Stores Are On The Rise For The Third Year In A Row

Here at the Walmart Shootings blog, I make it my duty to chronicle every gun crime at Walmart stores, the world's largest retail gun seller.  I don't know why Walmart stores are a magnet for shootings, armed robberies by gunmen, conceal carry accidents, and gun thefts, but I believe the incidents speak for themselves.  All of those that I post are reports in the media.  How many never make it that far, I wonder.

I've been keeping track since the beginning of 2012.  Clicking on the tabs above will give you a listing of the incidents where shots were fired, and how many were wounded or killed.

But I've noticed something alarming:  the rate of shootings is steadily increasing.  It's so frequent, now, that I hardly have time to chronicle all of them, and fell behind for a while.  Sometimes there are as many as two or three incidents per day.  What does the data say?  The graph below sums it up pretty well.

In all of 2012, I found 53 shooting incidents on Walmart properties.  In 2013, there were that many incidents by the beginning of October.  This year, they have already matched that number by July.  If a linear regression is predictive, they are set to beat last year's high of 83 by a comfortable margin, perhaps around 100 incidents.

So I would like to ask the administration of Walmart:   Is this acceptable to you?  Is this just "the cost of doing business?"  If not, what do you intend to do about this?  Don't you think that selling guns and ammo, and having a permissive policy about conceal carry, might have something to do with these alarming numbers?  Don't you care enough about your customers and employees to provide them with a safer environment than this?

Here's the data, for all to see:



Walmart.  Save money.  Die faster.